Recipe by Legna
I'm not sure where my Mom got this recipe, but I love it! It is my favorite way to make eggplant. I'm told this is a Tammy Wynette family recipe. The original recipe didn't give the amount of spices to use, so I guessed. You can use a little more/less according to your taste.
Top Review by AcadiaTwo
What a great recipe! I made this for our Easter dinner as a side dish. My DD has never been wild about eggplant, but she loved it as well as all of the eggplant lovers. I made two slight changes in that instead of crushed tomatoes I used chopped and the other alteration was to add more cheese then the recipe called for. This is true comfort food! Made for Spring 2014 PAC.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 14 1⁄2 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 dash nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and dice the eggplant.
- Dip in flour.
- In a medium size skillet, saute eggplant in the butter, when browned slightly, remove.
- In same pan, saute onions, do not allow to brown.
- Place eggplant in a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Add tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Mix carefully to blend ingredients.
- Top with cheese and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
- Bake 325 degrees F. for 20 minutes, until hot & bubbly.