Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1 large eggplant, sliced (aubergines)
- 2 small ripe tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon parsley, fresh chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (one teaspoon for each layer)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Clean the eggplant with cold water and then slice length wise into slices about the thickness of a finger, making horizontal and vertical incisions into the flesh of the vegetable.
- Salt these slices and place them in a colander with a plate on top to weight them down. Leave them for about half an hour.
- Clean the tomatoes, remove any seeds and dice them.
- Rinse the eggplant under cold water and dry them with some kitchen towel.
- Arrange a layer of eggplant in an oven dish, scatter some of the diced tomatoes, some crushed garlic, parsley and a little salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Repeat this process with other layers until all of the ingredients are finished. Place in a pre heated oven at 350F/180°C and cook for half an hour.
Another fresh, simple, elegant and excellent dish from the Farm! Andi, you are right. Eggplant and garlic are soulmates that should never be apart...I did slice both the eggplant and tomato horizontally instead of lenghthwise and chopped :)