Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
I found this recipe by Lisa Renshaw in Cooks Illustrated Magazine. I know my family is going to love this!
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup cashews, toasted, cooled, and chopped fine
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup eggnog
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 300* F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss egg white with toasted nuts in a bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix 2 tablespoons brown sugar with cinnamon.
- Stir nut mixture into cinnamon mixture, spread on baking sheet, and bake until hardened and candy-like, about 30 minutes.
- Allow mixture to cool completely, then crumble into small pieces. (Topping can be stored in airtight container up to 5 days.).
- Steam sweet potatoes in steamer basket set in large covered suacepan with 1 inch of boiling water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Using electric mixer on medium speed, beat heavy cream in large bowl until stiff peaks form, and transfer to medium bowl.
- Beat sweet potatoes in the now-empty bowl until very smooth. Beat in butter, remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar, eggnog, zest, juice, nutmeg, and salt.
- Fold in whipped cream, transfer to serving bowl, top with the praline mixture, and serve.
As my family is much more fond of pecans than cashews, I substituted pecans. That was the only change I made. I received many compliments, saying it was delicious. Personally, I don't know how much I liked the flavor, too orangey? The texture was good - they were light and fluffy!