Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe came from Pat Dyer. She made this for Christmas office parties.
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, whole
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup candied cherry
- 18 1⁄4 ounces yellow cake mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups eggnog
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons rum or 1⁄4 teaspoon rum flavoring
- Generously grease a bundt pan or 10" tube pan with soft margarine or butter.
- Press whole almonds and candied cherries against buttered sides and bottom, making a pretty pattern or design on pan.
- Dust lightly with flour. Set pan aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, nutmeg, eggs, eggnog, melted butter and rum.
- Beat until smooth, about 4 minutes with an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Pour batter into decorated pan.
- Bake in preheated oven @ 350°F for 45- 55 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan 10 minutes. Invert on rack and cool thoroughly.
Another night of insomnia so I started this at 5 am this morning,lol. My eggnog has been used up and I have a sense of accomplishment as well as a desire to go back to bed. I skipped the nuts as this is for DH (I've yet to find a sugar free cake mix in Canada) and he hates nuts. For the cherries I alternated red and green as a last homage to Christmas past. The cake looks lovely and came out of the pan beautifully. DH had a slice with coffee a bit ago and put up a hand with 5 fingers extended with his mouth full (it's now 10am). Thanks Lynn for keeping DH's mouth closed and happy for awhile.
This is a good, moist, cake. Both my husband and I liked it. When adding the cherries, I used exactly 16 of them to line the inside of the pan. Also, I did not add the almonds, as I didn't have them. I don't think this cake necessarily needs the cherries nor the almonds. I think it would taste great w/o them. I found the cake was more than done baking after 40 minutes. Thank you Lynn for posting this recipe!
This is a very pretty and tasty cake. The flavor is very good. I still taste more rum in it than eggnog. Mine was done baking in 40 minutes. I was surprised that it was not as moist as other rum cakes I have tried. But everyone enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing.