A wonderful way to cook with eggnog. A little time consuming but well worth it. This was at our family Christmas party and everyone including me asked for the recipe. Edited to add if the cake is coming out dry its being overcooked. Every bundt pan is different. If you have a dark coated or heavy one you should be testing the cake with a cake tester as well as if its a regular bundt pan because every oven is different. I always check all my cakes earlier than the timer goes off. Also bundt cakes and eggnog are a heavy cake its dense like a cofffee cake.
- 3 cups unsifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1⁄4 cups superfine sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup prepared eggnog, plus
- 1 tablespoon prepared eggnog
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup dark rum
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease inside of a 10 inch bundt pan with shortening and dust with flour, or spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Set aside.
- To prepare batter: Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg onto a sheet of wax paper and set aside.
- Cream butter in the large bowl of an electric mixer on a moderate speed for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add superfine sugar in three additions, beating 1 minute after each portion is added.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating about 45 seconds after each is added.
- Blend in vanilla extract.
- On low speed, alternately add sifted mixture in three additions with the eggnog in two addtions, beginning and ending with sifted mixture.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl often.
- Add rum and beat 30 seconds.
- (The batter will be medium thick and very creamy.) Spoon into prepared pan and lightly smooth top with a spatula.
- Bake on center oven rack 55 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cake set in pan on a rack 10 minutes before unmolding onto a rack.
- To prepare glaze: While cake is cooling in the pan, place butter, granulated sugar and rum in a nonreactive saucepan.
- Set over low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Place rack with warm cake on a sheet of wax paper.
- Spoon glaze over cake in layers, using all of glaze.
- Cool completely before wrapping.