Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a winner. Tasty and delicious! This is going to be a holiday regular for us!
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1 1⁄8 cups eggnog
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Combine cake ingredients in a bowl.
- Beat on low until moistened, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a greased and floured 12-cup fluted tube pan.
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes; invert on a wire rack.
- Remove pan and cool completely.
- Sauce: Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan, gradually stir in milk.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Blend a small amount into egg yolk and return to pan; mix well.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter and rum extract.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Store in fridge and serve with cake.
This was a hit on Thanksgiving day. I made two of these cakes to take to my mom's and MIL houses that day. The cake seemed a tad bit dry BUT the custard sauce more than made up for it. I had to make double batches of the custard sauce because everyone wanted to eat the custard by itself!!