Cook1 hr 5 mins
A festive pound cake with eggnog, your choice of currants, raisins or my favorite dried cranberries, with an orange, rum glaze
- 1⁄2 cup dried currants or 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons dark rum or 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, fresh grated is best
- 1 cup eggnog (store bought)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (grated)
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- Soak currents or raisins or cranberries in rum for 15 minutes.
- Using electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter until creamy 30-40 seconds. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- Measure eggnog and add vanilla.
- At low speed add dry ingredients in 4 additions, alternating with eggnog, begin with and end with dry ingredients. Scrape bowl occasionally.
- Fold in orange zest, currants and remaining liquid.
- Spoon batter into prepared 10 inch bundt pan. Bake at 325 for 55-65 minutes, check with toothpick, if toothpick comes out clean, it's done.
- Remove from oven and cool upright in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Prepare glaze blending together oj, sugar and rum.
- Invert cake onto a wax paper covered rack. Use pastry brush to brush the surface of the cake with glaze. Cool completely.