Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Posted by Tiffany at recipegoldmine.com on 12/19/2001
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon dark rum (optional)
- 1 teaspoon brandy (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°F Over medium heat in a med heavy bottomed saucepan, bring milk, cream and sugar just to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a med. bowl, with fork, mix together yolks and egg just to break them up without incorporating a lot of air. Slowly add the milk, mixture, stirring with wooden spoon. Strain mixture through sieve into a pitcher; stir in nutmeg, cloves, rum and brandy, if using. Let mixture rest, without stirring, for 1 minute. Skim off any bubbles or foam remaining on surface.
- Pour scant 1/2 cups of mixture into six (4 ounce) pots de creme cups or 3-inch ramekins. Set custards in a baking dish; fill dish with very hot tap water to come about 2/3 up sides of cups. If using pots de creme cups, cover with lids; otherwise cover pan with foil. Bake 50-60 minutes or until custards are set. Remove from oven and water bath to cooling rack. Cool to room temperature; cover and refrigerate 3 hours or overnight. Serve lightly chilled.