Recipe by ElaineAnn
I love making quick breads for the holidays. I must warn you: use store bought canned or carton eggnog.The first time I made eggnog bread I used a thick premium nog sold at a local dairy. My bread came out like a brick, it was so hard I couldn't cut it. Save the good stuff for drinking unless you need a door stop!
Top Review by LonghornMama
Good! A nice quick bread to serve with coffee or tea. Lowfat but not heavy or dry. It's funny reading other reviews: I found this not sweet with an abundance of poppy seeds. Used grated rind of one organic orange, the orange and nutmeg overpowered the eggnog flavor but it was very pleasant. Will check at 45-50 minutes next time. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup poppy seed
- 1 1⁄4 cups eggnog
- 4 teaspoons orange zest
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease bottom only of a 9X5 loaf pan.
- Beat together all ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into pan and bake 55 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean; cool slightly.
- Loosen sides of loaf from pan; remove from pan.
- Cool completely on wire rack before slicing.
- Wrap and refrigerate up to 1 week.