Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
From a Washington DC area Church Cookbook, circa 1936. My Great Aunt always prepared this for the holidays. Enjoy!
- 1 baked pastry shells
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope gelatin
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 egg whites, beaten stiff
- 2 teaspoons brandy (adjust to your taste) or 2 teaspoons Bourbon (adjust to your taste)
- Sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup milk.
- Blend cornstarch, salt, and 3 Tbsp sugar.
- Add remaining milk.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened.
- Cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add gelatin, stir until dissolved.
- Add hot milk mix to beaten egg yolks, cook over low heat 3 minutes.
- Chill until slightly thickened.
- Mix in remaining sugar to beaten egg whites.
- Fold egg white mixture into custard.
- Add flavorings.
- Pour into pie shell, sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Chill until firm.