Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Fun for kids.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 tablespoons light cream
- ground nutmeg
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the nutmeg, egg and extracts; mix thoroughly. Stir in flour.
- If necessary, chill dough for easier handling.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape dough into 1/2 inch diameter rolls; cut each into 3 inch long pieces. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.
- For frosting, cream butter until light and fluffy. Add 2 cups sugar and extracts; mix well. Beat in cream and remaining sugar. Frost cookies. With times of a small fork, make lines down the frosting to simulate bark. Sprinkle with nutmeg.