Recipe by Mary Scheffert
I got this recipe from a business associate, who is also an avid cookie baker. If you like egg nog, you'll love these little cookies!
Top Review by tinkerpuppet
Love these cookies! I found icing them was a messy pain, so I put the icing in a plastic bag, cut a corner off and piped the icing on. Much easier! Can't wait for the holidays to make these again!
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1 egg
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 3⁄4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, 1 cup margarine, 2 tsp vanilla, 2 tsp rum extract and egg until light& fluffy.
- Stir in flour& 1 tsp nutmeg; mix well.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap- chill at least 30-45 minutes for easier handling.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Divide dough into 6 pieces.
- On lightly floured surface, shape each piece of dough into a long rope, 1/2-inch in diameter.
- Cut into 3-inch lengths; place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheets,& cool completely.
- To make frosting: in a small bowl, combine all frosting ingredients (except nutmeg), adding enough milk for desired spreading consistency; blend until smooth.
- Spread frosting on cookies, and mark with tines of a fork to resemble bark.
- Sprinkle each cookie lightly with nutmeg,& allow frosting to set.
- Store cookies in a tightly covered container.
- **NOTE:These cookies freeze well.