Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 8 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons rum, preferably dark rum, such as Meyer's Dark Rum
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Beat the yolks and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until thick and pale yellow, about 3 minutes.
- The beaten mixture should make satiny ribbons that do not instantly dissolve back into the mixture when the beaters are lifted out of it; set aside.
- Heat the milk and cream in a saucepan over medium heat until barely bubbling around the pan’s inner edge; do not boil.
- Whisking constantly, add about 1/3 of the hot milk mixture to the beaten yolk mixture until smooth.
- Whisk this combined mixture back into the remaining hot milk mixture.
- Instantly decrease heat to low; cook slowly until thickened like very runny pudding, about 5 minutes.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl; stir in rum, bourbon, vanilla, nutmeg, and salt.
- Refrigerate until cold, for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
- Just before freezing the gelato, place the egg nog custard in the freezer for 10 minute to get it really chilled down.
- Freeze custard in you ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve at once or transfer to freezer container and store in freezer for up to 1 month.
- Soften at room temperature for up to 10 minutes before serving.