Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
This a great way to start off Christmas morning - my sweetie made this for me this past Sunday and I am going to share it with all of you so you can get the ohhhh's and ahhh's that I gave him - delicious
- 1 baguette (20-inchx21/2-inch, cut diagonally into 20 1-inch slices)
- 4 eggs (slightly beaten)
- 1 cup eggnog
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly ground)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon (freshly ground)
- 2 ounces Kahlua
- 1 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (chilled and cut up, remember a little more is ok too)
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄3 cup pecans (chopped)
- Spray one 13x9-inch glass baking dishes with cooking spray. Arrange bread in single layer in the dish.
- Whisk eggs, eggnog, milk, nutmeg, cinnamon and Kahlua in a medium bowl; pour over bread. Allow to stand on counter for 30 minutes. Turn bread; sprinkle with cranberries. Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate overnight. If the Mixture looks a little to dry in the am - add an addition 1/2 cup over bread.
- Heat oven to 400°F With a pastry blender or the two knife method, cut the butter into the brown sugar in a medium bowl. Sprinkle bread with 1/2 of the mixture - turn bread and repeat with the over 1/2 of the mixture. Bake 15 minutes - sprinkle with pecans. Bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
Managed to whip up a small batch of eggnog to use in this recipe, but I did leave out the Kahlua when making this French toast! It's definitely an end-of-the-year-holiday treat, but we (& our overnight company) enjoyed it nonetheless, especially with the cranberry & eggnog combo! AND, another time I'd like to try this with a nutty whole grain bread! Thanks for sharing a great recipe! [Recipenapped & made in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 23]