Recipe by Lainey6605
This has an eggnog-like taste, but you don't need to buy eggnog. Instead, it uses rum extract and some nutmeg to give it that flavor. Time to prepare does not include refrigerating overnight.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made this up for 3 of us so cut the recipe back by 2/3, which worked out just about right! Great flavor & a very nice change of pace from the usual French toast! Definitely on my list to make again ~ Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]
- 24 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 9 eggs
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange the bread slices in two well-greased 15-inch by 10-inch by 1-inch baking pans.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, cream, sugar, extracts and nutmeg until blended; pour over bread. Turn bread to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 500 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned, turning bread once.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar.