Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This has an eggnog-like taste, but you don't need to buy eggnog. Instead, it uses rum extract and some nutmeg to give it that flavor. Time to prepare does not include refrigerating overnight.
- 24 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 9 eggs
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- confectioners' sugar
- Arrange the bread slices in two well-greased 15-inch by 10-inch by 1-inch baking pans.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, cream, sugar, extracts and nutmeg until blended; pour over bread. Turn bread to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 500 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned, turning bread once.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Made this up for 3 of us so cut the recipe back by 2/3, which worked out just about right! Great flavor & a very nice change of pace from the usual French toast! Definitely on my list to make again ~ Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]
My husband and I had a French toast casserole in Durham, and he wanted me to make one at home. I halved the recipe, using 5 eggs, and left out the rum extract. We served with maple syrup and I enjoyed the dish. My DH wasn't as happy, but definately worth 4 stars! Thank you Lainey!
I enjoyed this making it with rum liqueur, low fat milk and skipped the sugar because I knew I wanted syrup on mine so I opted to skip the sugar and didn`t miss it. Thanks.