Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
This came from Good Housekeeping Nov'04. I love bread pudding, and eggnog - so it's a perfect fit for me. Now, I just need a reason to make it.
- 6 ounces day-old French bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup dried tart cherry
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart prepared eggnog
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- Grease a shallow 2-quart casserole dish. Place bread in casserole; sprinkle with cherries.
- In a medium bowl, mix eggs until well beaten. Add rum, if using, cinnamon, and salt, whisking until blended. Stir in eggnog. Pour eggnog mixture over bread, pressing bread into custard.
- Cover and refrigerate bread mixture for 30 minutes or overnight to allow bread to absorb custard, stirring once.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake bread pudding, uncovered, 50 to 55 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, place ice cream in small microwaveable serving bowl; heat in microwave oven on High 30-35 seconds, stirring once. Remove bowl from microwave and stir until smooth, but still thick and cool.
- Serve 'sauce' with warm bread pudding.