Prep 1 hr
Cook 11 mins
Eggnog is a traditional Christmas drink made with eggs, cream and sugar and sometimes flavored with rum,brandy or whiskey. This recipe uses it as a flavor for the cookies and then decorated with a egg yolk "paint". Makes a fun activity for the kids.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup eggnog
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
EGG YOLK PAINT
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon water
- assorted colors of liquid food coloring
- In large bowl, combine sugar, butter and eggs; beat until light and fluffy.
- Stir in eggnog and vanilla.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, nutmeg and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture; blend well.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes for easier handling.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine egg yolks and water; blend well.
- Divide mixture into several small cups; tint with food color.
- If paint thickens, add a few drops water.
- Heat oven to 350.
- On floured board, roll half of dough at a time to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut with assorted 2 1/2 to 3 inch cutters, re-rolling dough as necessary.
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Using small paint brush, paint designs on cookies with egg yolk paint.
- Bake at 350 for 8 to 11 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.
- Remove from cookie sheets.