Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
from "Annie's Eats" - http://annies-eats.com/2010/12/17/eggnog-cupcakes/
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum or 1⁄4 cup Bourbon
- 1 cup eggnog
- 1⁄4 cup vegetables or 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 20 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons eggnog
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- Preheat the oven to 350Ëš F. Line 18 cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; whisk to combine.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the rum, eggnog, vegetable oil, vinegar, and sugar. Beat on medium-low speed until well blended.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix on low speed just until incorporated.
- Divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners, filling the cups 2/3 full. Bake 22-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, place the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium-high speed until smooth, 20-30 seconds. Add in the powdered sugar, salt and nutmeg, and mix on medium-high speed until incorporated and smooth, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add in the eggnog and whip on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 4 minutes. With the mixer on medium-low speed, blend in the rum.
- Fill a pastry bag with the frosting and decorate the cooled cupcakes as desired. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon or grated nutmeg, and garnish with cinnamon sticks if desired.