Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Decadent! But what a nice holiday dessert!
- 1 1⁄2 cups eggnog
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Heat eggnog and half & half in a saucepan over med-low heat just to the boiling point. Set pan aside. Turn heat to low.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together, or use an electric mixer to mix the sugar and eggs, both whole and yolks, until light and frothy.
- Slowly add the hot eggnog mixture to the egg mixture. Mix well. Pouring hot custard through a strainer. Add back into saucepan and set over low heat.
- Stir mixture over low heat with a wooden spoon until it coats the back of the spoon. Stir in extract.
- Pour custard evenly among cups or ramekins and set these in a larger baking pan.
- Pour hot water into the baking pan until it reaches 2/3 of the way up the sides of the cups. Place baking pan in oven.
- Bake for about 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of custards comes out clean.
- Remove baking pan from oven and then remove cooked custards from the pan. Allow to cool slightly. Cover each with plastic wrap or foil and chill a few hours.
- To Serve with Brulee Crust: Turn oven to broil. Sprinkle a layer of brown sugar over each custard and place under broiler until sugar caramelizes. Keep a watch so as not to burn. Serve immediately.