Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These cookies are very elegant and are quickly gobbled up by eggnog lovers. I am trying a little bit of variation this year by substituting butter-rum candies mixed with the butterscotch candies rather than all butterscotch. It should be an interesting flavor.
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- Cut in butter until the pieces are the size of peas.
- Make a well in the center.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg and eggnog until well mixed.
- Pour the eggnog mixture into the well and stir until moistened.
- Cover the dough and chill for at least three hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and lightly grease.
- Roll out the dough on a well floured surface to quarter-inch thickness.
- Using cookie cutters in two sizes, cut out cookies.
- Cut out cookies with the large cutter first, and then cut out centers with the smaller cutter.
- Reroll the dough and continue to cut.
- Place the cookies on the foil-lined cookie sheet about one inch apart from each other.
- Sprinkle the crushed candies into the center of the cookies.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges are firm and lightly golden brown.
- Cool the cookies on the sheets for five minutes.
- Transfer the foil with the cookies attached to a baking rack.
- Once the cookies are cooled, carefully remove the foil from the bottoms of the cookies.
- Spread the tops with eggnog glaze and sprinkle with additional crushed candy and/or nutmeg if desired.
- Mix powdered sugar, rum extract and eggnog.