Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A slight variation on the "traditional" eggnog, as both the yolks and whites are cooked. Posted by request.
- 6 large eggs, separate yolks and whites (set whites aside)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated if possible)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup cream sherry (optional)
- Cook the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla and milk in a double boiler until thickened and light lemon colored.
- Remove from heat and place in an ice bath, stirring until cold.
- Add the half and half and heavy cream.
- Heat the egg whites, salt and sugar over a pot of boiling water, stirring constantly, until 140°F.
- Remove and beat with a whisk or mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Fold this"meringue" into the egg/cream mixture.
- Chill for one hour before serving.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg before serving.
- Optional: Add 1/4 cup dark rum and 1/4 cup cream sherry to the eggnog and stir well.