Recipe by Recipe Junkie
A delicious pie for the holidays from our church cookbook. Cooking time is chilling time.
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 2 teaspoons rum flavoring
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften gelatin in 1/4 c cold water.
- Mix in sauce pan, sugar salt and milk.
- Cook over low heat stirring constantly until scalded.
- Remove from heat.
- Slowly stir half the mixture into 3 egg yolks.
- Blend into hot mixture in saucepan until it boils.
- Immediately remove from heat.
- Stir in softened gelatin.
- When mixture is partially set, beat with rotary beater until smooth.
- Blend in rum flavoring and fold in whipping cream.
- Fold in egg whites, cream of tartar and sugar.
- Spoon into cooled pie shell.
- Sprinkle 1/4 t nutmeg over top. Chill until set, about 2 hours.