Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A hit at the holidays!
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1⁄4 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Combine 1/4 cup butter, wafer crumbs and white sugar.
- Press firmly on the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the sweetened condensed milk until smooth.
- Add eggs.
- Mix well.
- Stir in 1/4 cup rum, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched.
- To make the sauce~In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the cup of water.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the 2 tablespoons butter.
- Stir in the brown sugar and cornstarch mixture.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the 2 tablespoons dark rum.
- Just before serving, stir the pecans into the sauce.
- Remove the sides of the springform pan from the cheesecake.
- Serve with the sauce.
The cheesecake itself is very good. Unfortunately, the instructions don't tell you to line the spring form pan with parchment paper, so it is extremely difficult to remove. Also, the sauce is extremely sub-par. I followed the instructions to the letter and when my husband and I tasted it before serving, it was completely inedible, not caramel at all. Luckily, I had a jar of caramel ice cream topping in the cupboard, so I added the rum and pecans to it and it tasted fine. An okay recipe, but I will definitely not be making it a second time.
This was tasty and I liked it, but I didn't sense any taste of eggnog. Instead, it tasted like a ricotta cheesecake.. which I like anyway. It just wasn't that exciting.
Excellent and easy. Prepared per recipe except used walnuts in the caramel sauce. Next time I would use rum extract rather than rum in the cake - I felt the 1/4 cup of alcohol left a slight sharpness which detracted from the smooth, cheesy, milky, creamy aroma that I look for in a good cheesecake besides texture,`