Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
Eggnog and nutmeg gives these caramels a unique flavor. Great for holiday gift-giving. Cook time includes time for it to set.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter flavor shortening
- 3⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 cups eggnog
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with a double-thickness of foil; coat well with cooking spray.
- Place all ingredients in a heavy, deep-sided saucepan; attach a candy thermometer to the side of the saucepan.
- Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Lower heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 245 degrees F.
- Immediately pour caramel mixture into prepared pan; cool and refrigerate for 3 hours or more, until completely firm.
- Using foil, lift caramel slab from prepared pan. Pull the foil down from the sides of the caramel.
- Using a long knife, trim the edges off the caramel slab (these are ideal for nibbling!), and then cut the block of caramel into 8 rows. Cut each row into 8 squares.
First it took about an hour for the caramel to reach 245 degrees. Second I don't recomend using tin foil, use wax paper instead, I had the worst time ever taking it out of the foil. Finally after I finaly had it cooked and out of the foil it tasted nothing like eggnog. It tasted like caramel and it was soft but I was realy dissapointed that the eggnog flavor was not there.
These were very good. They taste like a carmel with the aftertaste of eggnog. Everyone kept on saying "they melt in your mouth". Even people who said they didn't like eggnog still liked these. They were easy to make but please do use a large pot or tall pot because I lost half of mine boiling over the sides...oops!...I used lowfat eggnog and it seemed to work fine. You need to let them sit at room temperature after refrigerating to soften them to cut but don't let them sit out too long or they kinda puff up and don't look as pretty...but they still taste good! Thanks for the recipe Annacia.
This candy makes great Christmass gifts. My children love it so much I end up making a double batch.