Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Christmas Egg Nog Butter Cake. This is by no means fat free or low cal. This is better than "SIN"!
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon rum extract
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- red and green glazed cherries
- 1 1⁄2 cups eggnog
Egg Nog Icing
- 3 tablespoons eggnog
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 3⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Beat butter until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well.
- Blend in flavorings.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture and wet ingredients (Egg Nog and Milk) to butter mixture alternately, beating until smooth after each addition.
- Turn into greased and floured 10 inch tube or bunt pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 55 min or until cake tests clean with tooth pick.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Cool, right side up, on rack.
- To make Icing: Combine egg nog, light corn syrup and rum extract. Gradually add 2 3/4 cup sifted confectioners sugar, beating until smooth.
- For Icing: combine confectioners sugar with wet ingredients beat until smooth.
- High Altitude Directions 5000- 6500 feet: Cake-Decrease baking powder to 2 1/4 teaspoon. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 to 55 minutes. Icing-Add 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons egg nog.
This recipe was incomplete. The ingredient list says nothing about milk or egg nog, but the instructions call for adding them to the batter alternating with the flour mixture. How much? I didn't use milk, just straight egg nog 1 3/4 cups. I also increased the rum to 1/4 cup. Didn't use the Icing recipe either, instead, made cream cheese frosting and it was delicious! Also left off the cherries. Although "Christmassy", I didn't think they would compliment the flavor of the cake.
This turned out pretty good... although I'm not sure about the instructions. There is a part that says to add in the milk and eggnog, but there was no listing for milk in the ingredients. I just put in the eggnog by itself. This was easy to make and it tasted pretty good, I was kind of surprised that there was no sugar in the cake, but I guess the eggnog is what makes it sweet.