- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 orange, zest of, finely minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange oil or 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream or 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- egg yolks or egg, to glaze
- confectioners' sugar or nutmeg or granulated sugar, for dusting
- 4 ounces white chocolate, melted, for coating biscotti
- coarsely chopped graham cookie crumbs (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Blend the butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, orange extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and mace in a food processor together until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Add in remaining ingredients and process a 1-2 minutes to get a thick batter.
- Let batter stand 2 minutes and then spoon out onto the baking sheet.
- Brush with egg yolk, or a beaten egg. Sprinkle on sugar and a dusting of more nutmeg.
- Bake 45 minutes until set and browned. Cool, then slice into diagonal cookies about 1/2 inch wide.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325*F, put sliced cookies back in oven and bake until crisped, about 15 minutes per side.
- Cool well and then glaze one side of each cookie with melted white chocolate.
- Garnish with crushed graham cookies crumbs on one edge. Serve to your most deserving guests!