1/2 Photos of Eggnog and Holly Pie
5 hrs 11 mins
Kathy at Food.com's Note:
This is a very pretty and festive pie for the holidays. This recipe works well with either regular or low-fat eggnog/cream cheese (I've made it both ways with excellent results).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 pie pastry
- 1 egg, separated
- 12 drops green food coloring
- red-hot candies
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/2 cups eggnog (regular or light)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened (regular or light)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2Thaw pie crusts if necessary.
- 3Place bottom crust in pie pan; trim crust even with edge.
- 4Using a small holly leaf cookie cutter, cut about 30 holly leaves from remaining crust.
- 5Beat egg white in a bowl.
- 6Brush edge of pie crust and underside of leaves with egg white and arrange around edge of crust.
- 7The end effect will be clusters of 3 leaves (2 on the crust and 1 on top of the filling).
- 8Put extra leaves on cookie sheet.
- 9Beat egg yolk in small bowl.
- 10Add food color.
- 11Brush leaves with green mixture.
- 12Bake crust 9-11 minutes and bake extra leaves 3-4 minutes.
- 14In small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup egg nog.
- 15Let stand 1 minute to soften gelatin.
- 16Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until dissolved.
- 17Remove from heat; set aside.
- 18In a large mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar, butter, and cream cheese.
- 19Beat on low until light and fluffy.
- 20Gradually add nutmeg, rum extract, gelatin mixture, and remaining egg nog.
- 21Beat on high until smooth.
- 22Refrigerate 15 minutes or until mixture mounds slightly when stirred.
- 23Pour into pie crust.
- 24Place extra holly leaves and red candies on filling to complete the holly leaf clusters.
- 25Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- 26Refrigerate until firm (about 4 hours).
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggnog and Holly Pie
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 585.8
- Calories from Fat 384
- Total Fat 42.7 g
- Saturated Fat 19.7 g
- Cholesterol 129.0 mg
- Sodium 503.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 20.6 g
- Protein 9.9 g