Prep 24 hrs
Cook 20 mins
- 12 egg yolks
- 5 whole cloves
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups cream
- 3 cups light rum
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a saucepan over low heat, blend the milk, cinnamon, cloves and half a teaspoon of the vanilla essence.
- Keep stirring while mixture heats, and remove from heat just before boiling point. Once the mixture hits about 205 degrees -- pay close attention --- you are just about there.
- In a bowl, mix together the sugar and egg yolks.
- Make sure you whisk them well so that they're light and fluffy.
- Gently and a little at a time, pour in the milk mixture while continuing to whisk.
- Transfer mixture back into your saucepan over a medium heat while continuing to stir.
- Keep stirring until your eggnog mixture until you hit 165 degrees and then take the thing off the heat and out of the saucepan ASAP!
- Pour and strain the mixture into a jug, making sure to remove the cloves.
- Stand jug in the fridge for an hour or two.
- Gently stir in the cream, light rum, remaining vanilla and ground nutmeg.
- Put back into the fridge overnight.
- Serve in cups with a little extra ground nutmeg, cinnamon or baking cocoa sprinkled lightly on top.