Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is the real deal, a custard based eggnog that is absolutely better than any storebought or pudding or icecream based eggnog. The egg yolks are cooked and there are no egg whites, so there are no worries about raw eggs. (I have removed the optional directions for including the egg whites, because we like it better without them.) Prep time doesn't include the overnight refrigeration.
- 4 cups milk
- 1 pinch clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 cups light cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups light rum (optional)
- Combine milk, cloves, cinnamon and the first portion of vanilla in a large saucepan. Heat on low for five minutes. Slowly bring to a boil.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk together until fluffy.
- Slow whisk the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks, a little at a time.
- Pour back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes, or until thick. Be careful not to let it boil.
- Strain into a large pitcher, cover and let cool for about an hour.
- Stir in the cream, nutmeg, and second portion of vanilla. Stir in rum, if desired.
- Refrigerate overnight before serving.
Ho Ho Ho! Great Eggnog without the worry of the raw eggs. Tasted wonderful. This is going to be a great holiday treat around my house! The spices in here really make this a nice treat. Wonderfully seasoned and tasty! Thanks Pup for a fantastic and JOLLY recipe! Made for Holiday Beverage Tag!
don't use the egg whites or you might find out why it's optional. good eggnog.
OMG this was divine! I just made a small batch as a test on my daughter who won't eat eggs. She devoured this & unfortunately for me she didn't leave me much other than enough to test it. I wish I had of made more now. Thankyou, finally a way for me to get eggs into my little one.