Prep 12 mins
Cook 6 hrs
About 1/2 as thick as the stuff from the store. I've been making a cooked eggnog for years. I had the taste right but never could get the texture. Cooking time is cooling time. The use of pudding as a thickener in Southern Eggnog #15186 by Lennie was a great idea.
- 5 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 7 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- nutmeg, to taste
- In a 2 quart pot, whisk the eggs until creamy.
- Add the sugar and whisk again.
- Pour in 4 cups of the milk, whisk again.
- Add the corn starch and nutmeg, whisk again.
- Cook over medium heat until it just begins to steam and simmer (About 10 minutes).
- DO NOT stop whisking.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk in remaining milk and vanilla.
- Refrigerate for about 6 hours to thicken.
- Add more corn starch in step 4 if you prefer a thicker beverage.