Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 3⁄4 cups white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup corn oil
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Mix well& ensure there are no lumps.
- Add the wet ingredients in order listed.
- Stir until well mixed.
- The mixture should be thick& heavy.
- Spoon mixture into 2 well oiled& floured 9" baking pans.
- Smooth the tops with a spatula as much as possible.
- Bake for up to 30 minutes.
- Check for doneness after 20 minutes& if not done, cook for another 5 minutes& check again.
- Remove from oven& cool on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- Carefully turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Layer with jam& a lemon icing.
- NOTE: It is essential to oil& flour the pans well as the corn syrup does make the batter very sticky.
- Unlike most sponge cakes, this one does not sag in the middle& while quite light, is still good& hearty.
yum! we were dying for a dessert, but had no eggs. this was great. i made this recipe into muffins, and instead of the corn oil, i used margarine. also, just put a little honey on each half, and devoured. thanks!
I made this for our two children for there birthday. Everyone really like it. Tiffany, she really liked it and Trever, he even like it. (He is the picky one!) My sweet hating husband liked it too.
this cake was very good. it needs slightly less temperature in the oven and longer time to cook otherwise it IS soggy in the centre. i lowered my oven temperature just a little, and checked the cake every 10mins with a toothpick in the centre until it came out clean. not sure exactly how much longer it took to cook, but it was a substanially longer time. pity its called WHITE cake. mine was DEFINITELY not white inside! perhaps because i used GOLDEN SYRUP(easily obtained in europe, where i live) instead of CORN SYRUP(which is difficult to find). all in all, quick, easy, and good flavour.