Top Review by Melany *
yum! we were dying for a dessert, but had no eggs. this was great. i made this recipe into muffins, and instead of the corn oil, i used margarine. also, just put a little honey on each half, and devoured. thanks!
- 2 3⁄4 cups white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup corn oil
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Mix well& ensure there are no lumps.
- Add the wet ingredients in order listed.
- Stir until well mixed.
- The mixture should be thick& heavy.
- Spoon mixture into 2 well oiled& floured 9" baking pans.
- Smooth the tops with a spatula as much as possible.
- Bake for up to 30 minutes.
- Check for doneness after 20 minutes& if not done, cook for another 5 minutes& check again.
- Remove from oven& cool on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- Carefully turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Layer with jam& a lemon icing.
- NOTE: It is essential to oil& flour the pans well as the corn syrup does make the batter very sticky.
- Unlike most sponge cakes, this one does not sag in the middle& while quite light, is still good& hearty.