Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This carrot cake tastes just like the real thing. Frosted with icing, you'd never know the difference.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 cup crushed pineapple
- In a small bowl mix baking powder and applesause into a foamy mixture, set aside.
- In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add oil, carrots, pineapple (some of the juice might help), and applesauce mixture.
- Mix well.
- Add flaked coconut, nuts, or raisins if desired.
- Scoop mixture into 24 cupcake liners.
- Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Once cooled, frost with icing (powdered sugar, 'fake' butter, vanilla, and water).
This recipe is fabulous IF you read all the comments and incorporate the suggestions. My first attempt didn't rise and was dry.
The second time I added moisture (extra applesauce) and apple cider vinegar and it worked perfectly.
All the 5-star reviews contain modifications to the original recipe, so be sure to read them before you start baking.
these were really good. Even when i left them in the fridge for 2 days they were still moist. I did have to add more water and some rice milk. My batter was really dry. And i also added some ap cider vinegar to make sure they rise.
I actually would give thses a 4.5. The only think I thought was off, at least for my taste was the nutmeg. It was a little strong. Next time I will use only a 1/4 tsp instead. Very moist, and rose nicely while cooked. These do not rise too much though, so fill the pans about 3/4 the way full. Thanks for posting such a healthy snack.