Recipe by XxXxkittykat
This carrot cake tastes just like the real thing. Frosted with icing, you'd never know the difference.
Top Review by tejup
This recipe is fabulous IF you read all the comments and incorporate the suggestions. My first attempt didn't rise and was dry.
The second time I added moisture (extra applesauce) and apple cider vinegar and it worked perfectly.
All the 5-star reviews contain modifications to the original recipe, so be sure to read them before you start baking.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 cup crushed pineapple
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl mix baking powder and applesause into a foamy mixture, set aside.
- In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add oil, carrots, pineapple (some of the juice might help), and applesauce mixture.
- Mix well.
- Add flaked coconut, nuts, or raisins if desired.
- Scoop mixture into 24 cupcake liners.
- Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Once cooled, frost with icing (powdered sugar, 'fake' butter, vanilla, and water).