Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A fluffy vegetarian version of pancakes
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk or 2 cups soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup plain fat-free yogurt or 1⁄2 cup soy yogurt
- 1 dash cinnamon (optional)
- Lightly mix all ingredients in a fairly large bowl; leave 5-10 minutes to rise. Its important only to mix the batter enough to moisten, as overmixing will make the pancakes tough.
- Gently fold down; leave again for 5-10 minutes if you have the time, and gently fold down again.
- Cook medium to medium-high on an oiled skillet till golden, carefully breaking apart any large lumps with the spatula.
- Serve immediately.
- For Vegan use only the soy milk and the soy yogurt.
I have food allergies, eggs being one of them and I'm also lactose intolerant so I used Fat free lactose free milk. In place of vegetable oil, I used a pan lightly coated with a light olive oil. I also left out the vanilla and cinnamon because I'm not crazy about cinnamon and I thought these pancakes were delicious. I didn't taste any difference between these and those made with eggs. I even made them for my grandson and he didn't taste any difference. I can't use syrup so I just put my lactose free margarine on them in addition to organic powdered sugar. When you make them just make sure the batter is this enough. I found I had to add a little bit more water than the recipe called for.
These were fabulous! I even used blueberry yogurt and topped it with blueberry syrup once, and it was great. (Also learned you can substitute sour cream for yogurt if necessary.) These pancakes are perfectly fluffy and thick. YUM!!
These were good! I added a little vanilla flavoring and I subbed melted butter for the vegetable oil. These came out nice and thick and did not taste like paste! Great post.