1/1 Photo of Eggless Milkless Date Nut Cake
This recipe is easy-peasy to make vegan by subbing margarine or oil for the butter and leaving off the whipped cream. "This recipe is quite old, and is traditionally a Christmas dessert. I have taken it to several LLL meetings and always get requests for the recipe." - Janice Trevail of Catskill, NY. This recipe was published in the La Leche League International cookbook, Whole Foods for the Whole Family.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup coarsely chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3-1/2 cup sugar or 1/3-1/2 cup honey
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups whipped cream, to garnish,if desired
- 1Preheat oven to 350F and grease and flour a 8" or 9" square pan.
- 2In a large bowl, combine dates, walnuts and other dry ingredients.
- 3In a small bowl, mix water, butter and vanilla.
- 4Add water mixture to date mixture and mix until just moistened.
- 5Pour batter into prepared pan and cake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- 6Serve warm or cold; plain or topped with whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggless Milkless Date Nut Cake
Serving Size: 1 (89 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 220.8
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 13.5 mg
- Sodium 299.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 19.1 g
- Protein 4.0 g