Recipe by Roosie
This recipe is easy-peasy to make vegan by subbing margarine or oil for the butter and leaving off the whipped cream. "This recipe is quite old, and is traditionally a Christmas dessert. I have taken it to several LLL meetings and always get requests for the recipe." - Janice Trevail of Catskill, NY. This recipe was published in the La Leche League International cookbook, Whole Foods for the Whole Family.
Top Review by wannabe_chef
This turned out great and disappeared quickly! Very moist even with the ww flour and less oil. I added some cinnamon and nutmeg and subbed apricots and figs for the dates since I didn't have any on hand. I will be making this again!
- 1 cup coarsely chopped dates
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup sugar or 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups whipped cream, to garnish,if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease and flour a 8" or 9" square pan.
- In a large bowl, combine dates, walnuts and other dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix water, butter and vanilla.
- Add water mixture to date mixture and mix until just moistened.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and cake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cold; plain or topped with whipped cream.