I found this recipe in the newspaper twenty years ago. I was impressed by the author's stories about life in the homefront during WWII so I decided to try this recipe. It was very good even without the allspice.
- Stir together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, spices and salt.
- Cream sugar, oil, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture, a little at a time, alternating with up to 1 cup of water.
- Mix briskly with fork until thoroughly blended.
- Pour into lightly greased and floured 8 or 9 inch square pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Let cool in pan.
My family loves this cake! I substituted unsweetened apple sause for the oil to make it healthier and it turned out fantastic! Very easy.
I cannot believe this was as good as it is! I made 1-1/2 batches and baked for 23 minutes in a jelly roll pan. Then I layered it with fresh blueberry syrup and topped it with homemade whipped cream! YUM! Thank you so much for this recipe! My husband was wary when I told him the name of the recipe...now he wants it to be my go-to cake! The ingredients are cheap cheap cheap! I didn't have lemon juice so I used orange juice, and subbed nutmeg for the allspice. I also used 3/4c water (for 1-1/2 batch). Thank you so much!
My mother was coming from out of state for a visit, and I had no eggs in the house. I searched for eggless cakes and this one caught my eye. I doubled the recipe and baked it in 2- 9 inch round pans. I used half vanilla and half almond extract. This cake was incredible! I used my new favorite frosting, silky vanilla butter frosting (23715) and also used part vanilla, part almond extract in it. My Mom who is the best cook I know said the cake was delicious! I will make this recipe again!