I found this recipe in the newspaper twenty years ago. I was impressed by the author's stories about life in the homefront during WWII so I decided to try this recipe. It was very good even without the allspice.
- Stir together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, spices and salt.
- Cream sugar, oil, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture, a little at a time, alternating with up to 1 cup of water.
- Mix briskly with fork until thoroughly blended.
- Pour into lightly greased and floured 8 or 9 inch square pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Let cool in pan.