Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
When I was unable to use my oven for a period of time, I looked for ways to make my favourite baking recipes using the microwave. The following recipe was found on the Nestle Milkmaid website and I adapted it to improve the texture and taste. Unlike many other eggless cakes, which taste rather bland, this is sweet and also often I find that because the egg is left out, the cake does not rise as much or is not as light or spongy as it could. However, here the aerated sode makes up for and the cake rises as much as any other cake made with eggs, sometimes ever more so make sure that your cake tin is the correct size or it will run over while baking, as mine did once when the tin was too small. If suitably decorated this delicious cake could be used for many special occasions.
- 400 g sweetened condensed milk
- 2⁄3 cup softened butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (if you would like a richer cake, halve the sugar and use 50g of melted plain chocolate)
- 150 ml soda water (carbonated water)
- Grease a ROUND microwaveable cake tin and line with greaseproof paper.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and the sugar.
- Add the condensed milk, melted chocolate (if using it) and vanilla essence and beat well to mix.
- Add the dry ingredients (from step 2) and mix well together.
- Slowly pour aerated soda into the mixture and mix in well.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin.
- Microwave on High for 4-5 mins (depending on the power of your microwave) and on Medium 4-5 mins (bake for on Medium for the same amount of time as you did in High).
- Hold in dish for 2-4 after baking (MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS AS HOLDING IS VERY IMPORTANT BUT DO NOT LET IT REMAIN IN THE TIN FOR LONGER THAN THE HOLDING TIME).
- Then, remove from the cake tin and place it on a wire rack to allow it to cool.
- Decorate if desired before cutting into slices to serve.
AWESOME!!! I'm thrilled, can you tell?!!?! Finally, oh finally, I've got an EGGLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE come out PERRRFECT in my microwave oven!!! Now, I really feel like celebrating;)!! I'm over the moon, I cannot believe it!!! This cake is YUMMY and PERFECT! The instructions are so well written; I had no problem at all(And I have been FRIGHTENED to bake cakes in my microwave because I've often ended up getting chocolate curry rather than chocolate cake!), I followed the recipe to the T and it's come out so good, I am THRILLED! What I loved the most was the way this cake rose in just 5 minutes(I did it 5 mins. on HIGH and 5 mins. on MEDIUM power level) and then allowed it to sit for 5 minutes before removing it from the cake tin. Oh this is my DREAM CAKE! I will make this for my hubby, some day! :) THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for this recipe a zillion and ten times!!!!!
i tried this recipe two times both time i found tight flat cake this recipe is not ideal for eggless cake please do not waist time in this recipe
My first cake.. Came out amazingly well!