When I was unable to use my oven for a period of time, I looked for ways to make my favourite baking recipes using the microwave. The following recipe was found on the Nestle Milkmaid website and I adapted it to improve the texture and taste. Unlike many other eggless cakes, which taste rather bland, this is sweet and also often I find that because the egg is left out, the cake does not rise as much or is not as light or spongy as it could. However, here the aerated sode makes up for and the cake rises as much as any other cake made with eggs, sometimes ever more so make sure that your cake tin is the correct size or it will run over while baking, as mine did once when the tin was too small. If suitably decorated this delicious cake could be used for many special occasions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 400 g sweetened condensed milk
- 2/3 cup softened butter
- 1 3/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup sugar (if you would like a richer cake, halve the sugar and use 50g of melted plain chocolate)
- 150 ml soda water (carbonated water)
- 1Grease a ROUND microwaveable cake tin and line with greaseproof paper.
- 2Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and set aside.
- 3Cream together the butter and the sugar.
- 4Add the condensed milk, melted chocolate (if using it) and vanilla essence and beat well to mix.
- 5Add the dry ingredients (from step 2) and mix well together.
- 6Slowly pour aerated soda into the mixture and mix in well.
- 7Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin.
- 8Microwave on High for 4-5 mins (depending on the power of your microwave) and on Medium 4-5 mins (bake for on Medium for the same amount of time as you did in High).
- 9Hold in dish for 2-4 after baking (MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS AS HOLDING IS VERY IMPORTANT BUT DO NOT LET IT REMAIN IN THE TIN FOR LONGER THAN THE HOLDING TIME).
- 10Then, remove from the cake tin and place it on a wire rack to allow it to cool.
- 11Decorate if desired before cutting into slices to serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggless Microwave Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 454.2
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 57.6 mg
- Sodium 626.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 39.8 g
- Protein 7.8 g