1/2 Photos of Eggless Citrus Marshmallows
Sunny yellow (if you use the colouring) and full of lemon and orange flavour! It's a nice change from your usual Easter Peeps. Original recipe from http://www.frillsinthehills.com/2009/08/make-your-own-eggless-marshmallows.html, modified slightly by me
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unflavoured gelatin
- 1 cup water, divided
- 2/3 cup white corn syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon orange extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1/2 cup icing sugar (you'll only need about half this to coat)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (you'll only need about half this to coat)
- 1In the bottom of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whisk gelatine with 1/2 cup water and set aside.
- 2In a bowl set over simmering water, whisk together remaining water, corn syrup, sugar and salt.
- 3Cook the mixture, stirring often, until the mixture reaches 120°F
- 4Start the mixer and gradually add the cooked mixture, then increase the speed to high and beat 10 minutes, until the mixture becomes thick and meringue-like.
- 5Add extracts and food colouring and beat 2 minutes more.
- 6Meanwhile, sift together the icing sugar and cornstarch and then re-sift half of this into the bottom of a lightly oil-sprayed 9x13" pan.
- 7Scrape the marshmallow "batter" into the tray, smooth the top (as best you can) and set aside for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- 8Dust the remaining icing sugar mixture on the top of the tray of marshmallows, then turn out onto a smooth surface.
- 9Cut into pieces and coat with the excess sugar mixture.
- 10Store in airtight container.
Nutritional Facts for Eggless Citrus Marshmallows
Serving Size: 1 (14 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 70
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 40.1
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 11.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 0.2 g