Sunny yellow (if you use the colouring) and full of lemon and orange flavour! It's a nice change from your usual Easter Peeps. Original recipe from http://www.frillsinthehills.com/2009/08/make-your-own-eggless-marshmallows.html, modified slightly by me
- 3 tablespoons unflavoured gelatin
- 1 cup water, divided
- 2⁄3 cup white corn syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon orange extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar (you'll only need about half this to coat)
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch (you'll only need about half this to coat)
- In the bottom of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whisk gelatine with 1/2 cup water and set aside.
- In a bowl set over simmering water, whisk together remaining water, corn syrup, sugar and salt.
- Cook the mixture, stirring often, until the mixture reaches 120°F
- Start the mixer and gradually add the cooked mixture, then increase the speed to high and beat 10 minutes, until the mixture becomes thick and meringue-like.
- Add extracts and food colouring and beat 2 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, sift together the icing sugar and cornstarch and then re-sift half of this into the bottom of a lightly oil-sprayed 9x13" pan.
- Scrape the marshmallow "batter" into the tray, smooth the top (as best you can) and set aside for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Dust the remaining icing sugar mixture on the top of the tray of marshmallows, then turn out onto a smooth surface.
- Cut into pieces and coat with the excess sugar mixture.
- Store in airtight container.