Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
A chewy, moist, chocolate cookie. Easily vegan with vegan margarine. Prep time includes chilling. If you make drop cookies, chilling is not necessary but recommended.
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (scant)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda (scant)
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- Cream margarine, oil, sugar and 1 T water until light and fluffy.
- Mix in remaining 2-3 T of water and beat well.
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Add to margarine mixture and mix until combined.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat oven 400°F (200°C) and grease a cookie sheet well.
- Make 24 balls (can also do drop cookies).
- Bake for 10 minutes, should be very puffy.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet, they will fall considerably due to the lack of egg.
I found this recipe by accident because I wanted chocolate cookies and was out of eggs. I think this has to be one of the ABSOLUTE best chocolate cookies that I have ever had. The cookies alone are great, but the recipe is a joy to play with. I've added a touch of vanilla, milk chocolate chips and heath bar pieces to the batch I'm making right now. I'm know they will turn out great :)
Delicious - like a cross between a brownie and a cookie! I use soy milk instead of water and roll the dough balls in sugar before baking.
I wanted to make some cookies but I did not have any eggs so I looked for a while and found these wonderful cookies. I did put a splash of milk in it help make it a bit more rich but over all it is a very nice cookie