Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
From a 2003 "Light and Tasty", submitted by Peggy Weed of Conn. A dense, moist cake with chocolate drizzle on top.
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup baking cocoa
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups cold brewed coffee
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon shortening
- Coat 10 inch tube pan woth non-stick baking spra and dust with 1 Tbsp cocoa - set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and remaining cocoa. In another bowl, combine the coffee, oil, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Stir into dry ingredients just until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350*F for 40-50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted nea center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
- In microwave or heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth.
- Drizzle over cake.
We enjoyed these moist, tender, dense, flavorful cakes. I made six small bundt cakes with the batter. It worked really well. They were so good that my dh didn't want to share with the neighbors. Loved the flavor created by the chocolate, coffee, cinnamon and vinegar. Thanks for sharing another winner. Made for Aussie Swap 60.
I wasn't sure about this to start with, the cinnamon flavour was very strong and clashed a little. However as time went on the flavours mellowed and the cake remained moist for at least two days which impressed me. Have to admit that I didn't use the recipe glaze and I did throw a few choc chips into the batter. Extra points for a super easy method!
Since I most always refuse to eat anything with coffee in it, I was happy enough to make this for my other half to take to work & share, & coworkers were happy enough to devour it, too! Sort of a win, win situation, especially when the feed-back is all good! Very easy to make, & much enjoyed, so thumbs up, I say! [Made & reviewed for one of my groupmates in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #41]