My family's favorite banana bread. We never have eggs around, so this recipe makes it easy to enjoy this tasty treat just about any time.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the first five (dry) ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas well.
- Stir the butter or margarine, vanilla extract and applesauce into the bananas.
- Add the banana mixture into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Mix gently by hand, just enough to form a thick, clumpy batter. If the mixture seems too dry, add more mashed banana or applesauce to adjust the consistency.
- Fold in chocolate chips and/or walnuts, if using.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until the bread is a deep golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
This is a good recipe with one exception, too much salt. Next time I make this I will use 1/4 teaspoon. I added 1 teaspoon baking powder and cut down on the sugar by adding agave nectar. moist recipe.
Awesome Recipe! I am new to baking and have already fallen in love with it! Followed every letter of this recipe and the bread turned out great!! Thanks:)
Was looking for any sweet treat with the word "Eggless" in it and this is what peaked my interest when I searched. My daughter is allergic to both soy and eggs. I made the following substitutions; reduced sugar by 1/4 cup (and used 1/4 cup white and 1/4 cup brown). I upped the vanilla to 1/2 teaspoon. I was almost out of all purpose flour (and had no wheat) so used 1 cup AP and 1/2 cup bread flour. We used 1/2 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate mini chips (no soy) and wow, what a hit! It tasted heavenly...thank you so much! Oh, I also sprinkled the top with a little raw sugar.