Recipe by Mrs Joshi
My family's favorite banana bread. We never have eggs around, so this recipe makes it easy to enjoy this tasty treat just about any time.
Top Review by bettycrockernot
This is a good recipe with one exception, too much salt. Next time I make this I will use 1/4 teaspoon. I added 1 teaspoon baking powder and cut down on the sugar by adding agave nectar. moist recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the first five (dry) ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas well.
- Stir the butter or margarine, vanilla extract and applesauce into the bananas.
- Add the banana mixture into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Mix gently by hand, just enough to form a thick, clumpy batter. If the mixture seems too dry, add more mashed banana or applesauce to adjust the consistency.
- Fold in chocolate chips and/or walnuts, if using.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until the bread is a deep golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.