Recipe by Skipper/Sy
One of my mother's favorite dishes was chopped string beans and hard boiled eggs with a little mayonnaise However, I have enhanced this RSC #15 recipe by adding some caramelized onions and roasted garlic. For a nice visual presentation, I have also added on top of this dish a funny-faced hard boiled egg named "Eggie" which always "Cracks Me Up!"
Top Review by CJAY
I had to try this because it sounded so strange and I'm glad I did. I didn't make the little faces but followed the directions using the cream cheese option. It was enjoyed by all of us. Thank you for sharing and good luck in the contest.
- 12 ounces string beans, fresh green (remove stems)
- 1⁄3 cup onion (chopped up)
- 4 garlic cloves, roasted
- 6 eggs, medium size
- 1 tablespoon butter (margarine or oil optional)
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper (chopped up)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (Hellmann's brand preferred)
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese (mashed) (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Making "EGGIE", Optional! Use one of the hard boiled eggs (see below) and take some small, tiny pieces of vegetables (for example: carrot, pimento, red pepper, olive) and two small whole peppercorns (as eyes) and make a funny-faced egg (use your creative imagination), set aside.
- Place the string beans in boiling water, add little salt and cook until "al dente," drain and put into a wooden bowl for chopping.
- Roasted Garlic; see various recipes on RecipeZaar and chop up after roasting, set aside.
- Hard Boiled Eggs; See various recipes on RecipeZaar, make sure to run under cold water (and/or add ice) immediately after cooking, set aside the eggs after removing the shells.
- Take 4 hard boiled eggs and then place in a wooden bowl for chopping.
- In a frying pan add the onions, butter and cook until caramelized, then add the chopped roasted garlic, toss and set aside.
- Add half of the chopped red bell peppers into the wooden bowl.
- Next using a hand chopper, chop up the string beans, eggs and peppers to medium coarse.
- Then add the caramelized onions, mayonnaise, cream cheese (optional) , paprika, cinnamon and salt to taste, and mix well.