Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
I make this on those nights when I want something yummy and wholesome but not time consuming. Although it is in a pita, it's not a good hand-held food. I usually resort to using a knife and fork because it can get pretty messy and hot if it falls apart. I would also like to try this in a tortilla. If you do please tell me how it is!
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 medium red pepper, cubed
- 1 red potatoes, baked, cut into cubes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 whole wheat pita bread
- 4 slices turkey bacon or 4 slices chicken bacon or 4 slices pork bacon or 4 slices vegetarian bacon
- Heat 1 tbsp margarine in non-stick pan over medium heat and add onions. Cook until shiny and slightly soft.
- Add cubes of potato and stir gently to combine. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Continue cooking until potatoes appear golden.
- Now add the peppers and cook for 2-3 more minutes until heated through. Add hot sauce and ketchup, mix and let cook on low heat.
- Cook bacon as to your liking (I put frozen turkey bacon in the microwave for 2 minutes and then finish it off in a frying pan to crisp it up). Let bacon drain on paper towel.
- In bowl whisk eggs, milk and salt and pepper. Add cottage cheese at end and mix together. In frying pan heat remaining margarine and add egg mixture. Let cook for a few minutes, until it starts to stick together. Mix it around and add veggie mixture. Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes, checking for salt and pepper. At very end, add half the cheese and gently combine.
- Open one pita and put half the egg mixture inside, topping with some extra shredded cheese and two slices of bacon.
- Repeat above step with remaining egg mixture, bacon and cheese.
We ate these in whole wheat tortillas and both of us thought they were top-notch comfort food.
Desiree, This is a terrific recipe! I made two in pitas and two in tortillas and they were both delicious! The tortillas held up a little better for me than the pitas, but either way was great. I used Emeril's Hot Jalapeno Sauce, and it worked really well. The only other things I did differently was to cut down on the salt, and I diced my bacon before frying to make it easier to eat. Thanks for a delicious recipe, it would work well for a meal at anytime of day!