Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Have some unused egg yolks and you don't know what to do with them? This recipe makes a very delicious and marvelously moist cake.
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 325 ° F (165 ° C).
- Sift together twice: flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In large mixing bowl beat egg yolks and whole egg with an electric mixer until thick and lemon colored (about 5 minutes).
- Gradually add sugar, beating after each addition.
- This should take about 10 minutes.
- Fold in orange rind, orange juice, and lemon extract.
- Sift dry ingredients into egg and sugar mixture and fold in.
- Do not stir or beat.
- Add boiling water and fold in quickly, just until liquid is blended.
- Pour batter into one ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake at 325° F for 60 to 65 minutes.
- Turn cake over in pan on wire rack or neck of bottle and let cake hang for 1 hour or until cool.
- Loosen cake sides from pan with metal spatula or thin knife and shake from pan.
- Dust lightly with confectioners' sugar.
Pretty good, I think I would make it again, especially given extra egg yolks. I didn't have lemon extract, so I substituted some lemon zest and some juice... but I don't think you could taste it really. The cake was a bit less delicate than I would have liked... (definitely sponge-like, as my wife said) maybe I over beat the eggs/sugar? But it was delicious with tea! Used a bundt pan, and, because the recipe called for not greasing the pan, had to soak overnight to clean.
This cake is good; it disappeared in less than 24 hrs. I love that lemon/orange bit of flavour in it. I wasn't too sure if the recipe called for granulated or brown sugar. Cakes usually call for granulated sugar and I used 1 cup of it since I thought the extra 1/2 cup would make it too sweet. I intend to bake it again especially since it's a great way to use your extra egg yolks which is thankfully, no longer a problem :)