1/7 Photos of Egg Yolk Cookies
Cindy Lynn's Note:
I love making homemade angel food cakes and meringues, but unfortunately hate the waste of egg yolks. Recently, my range decided not to cooperate on my daughter's birthday, so I attempted three times in one day to make her 'promised' angel food cake...resulting in 36 egg yolks left over...YIKES! I made a ton of my Homemade Neverfail Egg Noodles, but I could only stand to have so many noodles made ahead, so I was on a mission. This is the recipe I found, then modified, from one of my Open Line Cookbooks (a radio station recipe program I loved listening to with Mom as a young girl). The recipe does not require chilling prior to rolling and baking, but I prefer to anyway, and in between cookie sheets. I like to double this recipe, as well as most cookie recipes to be quite honest. I think this would also work well pressed out as a cookie dough for a dessert pizza, although I haven't tried that yet. I have also used frozen egg yolks with great success, so there is no need to take on both an angel food cake project or meringue project and cookies in the same day. These also freeze well after baking; I haven't tried freezing them before baking yet. I hope you find this recipe as useful as I do!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- 2Separately, beat egg yolks and add extracts.
- 3Add beaten egg yolk mixture to creamed butter and sugar.
- 4Blend well.
- 5In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (flour, baking soda and cream of tartar).
- 6Add dry ingredients to creamed butter, sugar and egg mixture, mixing until well blended.
- 7Form into balls about the size of a walnut.
- 8Roll balls in sugar, place on greased cookie sheet or parchment lined cookie sheet, and slightly flatten.
- 9Bake at 350 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes, depending on desired softness/crispness.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Egg Yolk Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (15 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 60
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 70.8
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 24.7 mg
- Sodium 48.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 0.8 g