Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I just love Kittencals manicotti recipe and decided to make an omelette with a similar flavor and less calories. It is a bit time consuming but I thought it was very flavorful and filling. I made the recipe for 1 but you can adjust to your own liking.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1⁄8 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup 2% fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄8 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped spinach
- 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 dash salt and pepper (a couple shakes)
- 3 egg whites or 3 Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1⁄2 chopped tomato
- saute in olive oil: onion, red pepper and garlic about 5 minutes.
- Mix together: cottage cheese, mozzarella, parmesan cheese, italian seasoning, salt and pepper and spinach.
- I add to onion mixture to warm.
- Cook egg whites and add cheese filling when eggs are set. Top with chopped tomato.
I really enjoyed this for breakfast! I am a cheese fanatic and I loved this cheesy mix on the eggs. I used one egg with 2 egg whites and I used ricotta rather than the cottage cheese. I also used Co-Jack and bumped it up to 1/4 cup. It's a rich mixture but the veggies balance it nicely. I didn't have any spinach so I just used broccoli and it was delicious. By the way, I only needed to saute my veggies for about 2 minutes & the cheese mix warmed after about a minute. I also kept the broccoli on the side rather than throwing it into the cheese mix and I liked it that way. A unique omelet that's very good. Thanks for sharing :)