Recipe by Heather U.
My mom's garden is incredible. This recipe provides a perfect use for her bounty of zucchini and Swiss chard. It's also a delicious, very satisfying dish that's simple to make. The coconut milk adds richness and body without introducing coconut flavor but you could use cream, half-and-half, or any other kind of milk, dairy or non-dairy, instead. Lower fat contents will yield a lighter result.
- 1 lb zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch to 1-inch dice
- 12 ounces chard leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Greek oregano
- 1⁄2 cup ripe black olives, chopped
- 10 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup coconut milk (*not* the coconut milk that comes in a carton and is meant for drinking)
Directions See How It's Made
- Generously sprinkle zucchini pieces with fine sea salt and set aside on a cutting board or in a colander for about 30 minutes.
- Blot the zucchini with a towel, toss with enough olive oil to coat (about 1 Tbsp), and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast at 425 degrees F. for about 8 minutes; stir and roast another 5 to 8 minutes, until zucchini pieces are tender and slightly caramelized.
- Trim the chard by removing and discarding the stems. Cut the leaf blades into 1/2-inch ribbons.
- Bring about a quart of salted water to a boil in a wide skillet. Add the chard and simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes, turning the leaves over occasionally with a spatula. Drain the chard and spread on a cutting board to cool. When it's cool, squeeze excess moisture from the chard.
- Saute the onion in the remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil until soft; add the garlic and oregano and saute another minute or so. Add the chard and olives, and cook for another couple of minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the zucchini.
- In a bowl, blend the egg whites and coconut milk. (If using canned coconut milk, shake the can vigorously before opening to blend the contents.) Stir in the vegetables. Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 8 by 8 baking dish.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes or until the eggs are set.