Heather U.'s Note:
My mom's garden is incredible. This recipe provides a perfect use for her bounty of zucchini and Swiss chard. It's also a delicious, very satisfying dish that's simple to make. The coconut milk adds richness and body without introducing coconut flavor but you could use cream, half-and-half, or any other kind of milk, dairy or non-dairy, instead. Lower fat contents will yield a lighter result.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch to 1-inch dice
- 12 ounces chard leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Greek oregano
- 1/2 cup ripe black olives, chopped
- 10 egg whites
- 1/3 cup coconut milk (*not* the coconut milk that comes in a carton and is meant for drinking)
- 1Generously sprinkle zucchini pieces with fine sea salt and set aside on a cutting board or in a colander for about 30 minutes.
- 2Blot the zucchini with a towel, toss with enough olive oil to coat (about 1 Tbsp), and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast at 425 degrees F. for about 8 minutes; stir and roast another 5 to 8 minutes, until zucchini pieces are tender and slightly caramelized.
- 3Trim the chard by removing and discarding the stems. Cut the leaf blades into 1/2-inch ribbons.
- 4Bring about a quart of salted water to a boil in a wide skillet. Add the chard and simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes, turning the leaves over occasionally with a spatula. Drain the chard and spread on a cutting board to cool. When it's cool, squeeze excess moisture from the chard.
- 5Saute the onion in the remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil until soft; add the garlic and oregano and saute another minute or so. Add the chard and olives, and cook for another couple of minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the zucchini.
- 6In a bowl, blend the egg whites and coconut milk. (If using canned coconut milk, shake the can vigorously before opening to blend the contents.) Stir in the vegetables. Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 8 by 8 baking dish.
- 7Cover the dish with foil and bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes or until the eggs are set.
Browse Our Top Chard Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Egg White Frittata With Zucchini, Black Olives, and Chard
Serving Size: 1 (334 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 250.7
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 461.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 17.4 g
- Protein 12.5 g